Monday, April 27, 2009

Artichoke Risotto

If artichokes aren't usually on your menu, then this recipe may kind of scare you at first, because artichokes aren't the most appetizing looking vegetable out there. But I challenge you to try this out anyway, because I don't know anyone who doesn't like marinated artichoke hearts after they get brave enough to try them, and this recipe is sooo super yummy! I was also a little wary of this recipe at first, because the way you're supposed to cook the rice sounds a little difficult at first, but if you just do exactly as the recipe says, it will turn out well.

ARTICHOKE RISOTTO

*1 tablespoons olive oil
*1/2 tablespoon unsalted margarine
*1 small onion, chopped
*1 cup uncooked carnaroli rice (I couldn't find this exact name of rice, so I used arborio rice, because on the package it said "great for risotto" lol)
*1/8 cup soy milk (or skim milk)
*1/8 cup apple juice
*3 cups vegetable broth (Here's where that vegetable broth recipe comes in handy!)
*1 (6.5 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts
*1/2 can yellow corn
*Cayenne pepper to taste


1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and margarine. Stir in the onion, and sauté until tender.
2. Stir in the rice, and cook until lightly browned. (Stir occasionally so you don't burn the rice. I found that using a rubber spatula was very helpful with this recipe)
3. Pour milk and apple juice into the rice.
4. When the rice has absorbed the liquids, gradually pour in vegetable stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, until absorbed. Reserve about 1/4 cup stock. Cover, and cook about 20 minutes, until rice is tender. (This is copied from the recipe I found, but when I cooked the rice it absorbed the liquids a lot faster than 20 minutes. Probably about ten. Just be sure to keep your eye on the rice so you don't burn it, and when all the liquids are absorbed, taste it to make sure the rice is tender.)
4. Remove the rice from heat, and thoroughly mix remaining vegetable stock, artichoke hearts (Don't drain the marinade, add it to the rice), corn, and cayenne pepper into the rice.


This makes 4 good sized servings.

2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight and it was sooo yummy! However, do not make this if you are trying to do 10 things at once. You really need to stay with it. Also, be careful with the cayenne pepper. I only added 3 dashes and it was already to spicy for Ava.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I also made mine a bit too spicy, but luckily I don't mind a little extra spice, and I wasn't trying to feed mine to a three year old. :P

    ReplyDelete