Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Trisha Yearwood's Chicken Pot Pie

I don't think this recipe is super healthy, but it's sure yummy!! I got it out of Trisha Yearwood's cookbook and my kids actually eat it too!

3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups chicken broth
1 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 cup self-rising flour (see note)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup (one stick) butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk, well shaken

Preheat oven to 425 F

Put the chicken in a 2-quart casserole dish. Combine the broth and soup in a medium saucepan and bring the mixture to boil. Pour the broth mixture over the chicken.

In a seperate medium bowl, mix the flour with the pepper. Pour the mixture over the casserole and smooth the top; do not stir. Bake the casserole for 45 minutes, or until the crust is brown and the filling beneath is hot and bubbly.

Note: If you do not have self-rising flour, you may substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

I bet you could put veggies in it too if you wanted to add a little extra nutritional value. The first time I made this I didn't use the best casserole dish and I barely got it all to fit. It started to bubble over the sides of the dish! I put a piece of tin foil on the second shelf in the oven and it caught all the drips. If you use a bigger dish, you won't have the problem I did ~ but you can use this tip for an easy clean up. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment